Friday, July 23, 2010

The Sad State of Our Political Affairs

There is not much to say. I fired up my computer and was confronted with this story about Charlie Rangel's Ethics Committee problems. ( my home page is the NyTimes) There isn't any commentary necessary. It's another sad example of a "Public Servant" who really isn't a public servant--- shame on me, I always respected Charlie.

I thought I'd take a quick peak at Mish's site to see what I missed in the economic world. It was Opening Day at Saratoga after all. Right after reading about Rangel I come across this about the political operatives in Bell, Ca. and all I can offer is that it is almost impossible to have any faith in our current structure. I am open to any suggestions. Maybe it's possible to label these two stories as "bad apple outliers" but I fear that that is wishful thinking.I quoted the Psalms last post, why not Ecclesiastes this time:

For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief."

I might not put Hemingway in the same category as Scripture, but this line sums it up just as well:

"Was there ever a people whose leaders were as truly their enemies as this one?" - Ernest Hemingway, For Whom the BELL Tolls, Ch. 13

No comments: